The Global Platform for Sustainable Natural Rubber (GPSNR) is committed to promoting the uptake of sustainable natural rubber in the global marketplace by addressing forest and other ecosystem conversion, biodiversity loss, human and labor rights violations and inequity in the natural rubber supply chain. Upon joining GPSNR, members sign a commitment to uphold the 12 Principles of Sustainable Natural Rubber, which vary depending on the company’s position in the supply chain. The Policy Components are aligned with the Principles and guidelines laid out in the UN Global Compact, the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights, the International Bill on Human Rights, and the International Labour Organization Fundamental Conventions. These are the Policy Components that Suburban Tire Company has agreed to:
Our GPSNR Policy Framework Commitment
Commitment to Legal Compliance
Suburban Tire Company has committed to:
- Complying with applicable local, national and international laws on human rights, labour, land use, and the environment.
- Working against corruption in all of its forms including extortion and bribery.
Commitment to Healthy, Functioning Ecosystems
Suburban Tire Company has committed to:
- Only sell tires manufactured by companies that have committed to use natural rubber that was produced in a way that does not contribute to deforestation or degrade High Conservation Value areas.
- Only sell tires manufactured by companies that identify and manage areas for development and conservation in a manner that protects High Conservation Value areas and High Carbon Stock areas.
- Support the long-term protection and conservation of natural forests and other ecosystems, and restoring or supporting restoration of deforested and degraded rubber landscapes.
- Promote an end to the use of fire for land preparation, land management,
and waste management in rain forests and other ecosystems not naturally accustomed to fire.
- Promote organizations that protect wildlife from poaching, over-hunting and habitat loss.
- Protect water quantity and quality, preventing water contamination from oil and automotive chemicals.
Commitment to Respecting all Human Rights
Suburban Tire commits to only sell tires manufactured by companies that respect internationally-recognized human rights, including:
- Upholding the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
- Ensuring the ability of Indigenous Peoples and local communities to give or withhold their free, prior, and informed consent on any activities that might affect their rights.
- Respecting and recognizing the formal and customary land rights of Indigenous Peoples and local communities in rubber producing regions.
- Working in accordance with the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Supporting the livelihoods of rubber producers, particularly small farmers, and those communities in rubber producing areas.
- Complying with internationally-recognized labor rights and all applicable laws on workers’ rights, including:
- no child labor, forced or compulsory labor
- freedom of association and collective bargaining
- no discrimination
- no abusive practices
- legal working hours
- safe and healthy workplaces
- decent living wages
- gender equity
To implement and demonstrate progress with our commitments, Suburban Tire Company further commits to:
- Work with our existing suppliers to identify, prevent and mitigate, environmental and social harms in natural rubber supply chains that violate this high level commitment.
- Will evaluate the environmental and social performance of new suppliers/partners prior to engagement, and work with them to align their natural rubber supply chain with the GPSNR policy framework.
- Report our progress on implementing these commitments as specified in the forthcoming GPSNR reporting requirements.
- Engage in multi-stakeholder, landscape and supply chain interventions that support sustainable natural rubber usage in the global marketplace.
To address any concerns regarding our operations, our suppliers operations, and our sustainability activities and measures, and to resolve disputes regarding such in a fair and timely manner, please contact Steven M Leffler, owner, at 630-764-6984.